BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) ––– With the weather getting colder, you might be tempted to turn on the heater, but before you do, the Baton Rouge Fire Department has a few tips to keep you and your family safe.
Newer space heaters have a tip-over function that turns them off if they fall over. Justin Hill, Baton Rouge Fire Communications Officer, says that while this is good for preventing burns or fires from falling space heaters, there are other things to consider. He urges you not to plug space heaters into power strips or extension cords, and if the wire starts to feel warm or gummy, power the space heater off and do not use it again.
For central heating, you should regularly change filters because accumulated dust can easily catch fire. Hill says, “If you notice a smell when you turn your furnace on for the first time, that’s normal, but if it starts getting worse, this is a time we need to go ahead and call 911.”
Smoke and CO detectors
Having a working smoke detector installed correctly in your home will more than double your chances of surviving a fire. If you do not have a smoke detector, the city of Baton Rouge offers a free installation program for seniors and people with disabilities. If you or someone you know needs a smoke detector, you can sign up here.