INDIANAPOLIS (WTTV) – A man died Monday after a snowblower caught fire and the blaze spread to his clothing as he prepared to clear snow from an Indianapolis residence.
The Indianapolis Fire Department (IFD) responded just before 5:30 p.m. Monday. When they arrived, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the attached garage of a single-story home.
Investigators traced the fire to a snowblower at the residence. It’s believed the victim, 78-year-old Jonnie Douglas, was smoking while pouring gasoline into the snowblower’s tank in an effort to get ready for the upcoming cold weather.
The fumes ignited, setting the snowblower and Douglas’ clothes on fire. He was in critical condition while being transported to the hospital, where he later died.
IFD said Douglas’ death is the seventh fire fatality in their service district this year.
- People threaten to call ICE on staff of Houston Mexican restaurant after choice to keep mask requirement
- Picture found in long lost book leads to nationwide search for family
- Deputies find drugs in Florida man’s hamburger during traffic stop
- COVID toes: Mysterious rash can affect feet in patients with coronavirus
- Missouri pastor on leave after sexist sermon saying wives should lose weight to look like Melania Trump