Louisiana DOTD wants you to be mindful while driving in a highway construction zone.
It’s part of National Work Zone Awareness Week that began on Monday.
Here are a few simple safety tips that can go a long way toward keeping everyone safe:
- Plan ahead: Give yourself extra time and expect some delays. If it’s feasible, avoid the construction zone and take an alternate route.
- Obey traffic crews & signs: Watch for cones, barrels, signs, large vehicles, and workers in brightly-colored vests to warn you and direct you in traffic.
- Slow down: Look for signs indicating changes in speed limits, and keep a safe distance from the vehicle in front of you.
- Move over: Most state move-over laws apply when passing work crews and their vehicles/equipment.
- Avoid distractions: Keep your eyes on the road and off your phone.
- Watch for sudden stoppages: In 2017, 25 percent of fatal crashes nationwide involved rear-end collisions.
- Watch for large vehicles: Don’t make sudden lane changes in front of trucks that are trying to slow down.