BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – What should local school districts do during the coronavirus pandemic?
That is the question on the minds of many parents in the area and some local school districts have provided some guidance on what the fall may look like for students and teachers.
East Baton Rouge Parish:
Option 1: School year starts online. Parents can then choose to stick with online format, or move into hybrid format on September 9th.
Option 2: School year starts in August under hybrid format
A survey for parents can be found here.
More details to be release July 17th:
Phase 1: Due to the limitations on transportation and group sizes, Ascension Public Schools will only be serving small groups of students in its buildings on an as-needed basis to be determined. With very few exceptions noted before, all students will be served through online learning.
Phase 2: Pre-k – 5th grade students return to campus; middle and high school students hybrid learning; buses running no more than 36 students (half capacity); temperature checks every day by 1st period;shared surfaces sanitized when students change classrooms.
Phase 3: Primary schools return to campus; larger schools alternate between on campus and virtual learning schedules; regular bus routes for middle, high school, alternative routes for elementary; temperature checks everyday.
Online learning for those who want/need it
East Feliciana Parish:
- The reopening plan for East Feliciana Public Schools can be found here.
- Plans to be submitted July 13th at school board meeting
- 100% virtual learning, computer provided for those who want/need it
- Phase 1: Virtual learning (100%) except students with special needs who need in person instruction
- Phase 2: Hybrid learning
- Phase 3: Full return to campus with social distancing measures implemented
Pointe Coupee Parish:
- Option 1: In-person instruction Monday-Friday
- Option 2: Virtual learning
- Online survey: Due July 9th
St. Helena Parish:
- Online survey can be filled out here.
Options according to survey:
- Option 1: A/B weeks, students in two separate groups, rotate on-campus learning each week; siblings will attend school together in same week; online work when at home
- Option 2:
– PreK and KN students report three days per week (Monday – Wednesday).
– 1st and 2nd grade students report two days per week (Thursday – Friday).
– 3rd and 4th grade students report three days per week (Wednesday – Friday).
– 5th and 6th grade students report two days per week (Monday – Tuesday).
– 7th and 8th grade students report three days per week (Monday – Wednesday).
– 9th – 12th grade students report two days per week (Thursday – Friday).
West Baton Rouge Parish:
- Each Phase depends on where we are in state phases
- Phase 1 – 100% virtual learning (August 6th)
- Phase 2 – Headstart-6th grade return to campus; 7-12 grade will follow alternating schedule: 50% of students will attend classes on campus Monday and Wednesday, the other 50% Tuesday and Thursday, Friday will be a distance learning day
- Phase 3: All students return to campus; face coverings for those 3-12 grade and faculty/staff; social distancing and daily temperature checks
- WBR Virtual Academy available for anyone needing to take classes online; applications due July 24th
West Feliciana Parish:
- No information available at this time
By: Benjamin Butler/Michael Scheidt