BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – As temperatures continue to drop in Louisiana, individuals who lack adequate housing will be in need of shelter from dangerously cold weather.
Resources for shelter, food, and clothing are listed below.
At this time, there are no official homeless shelters in Ascension Parish, but certain nonprofits and other organizations may provide assistance to locals who require housing during the cold winter months. Some of these organizations are listed below:
- Purpose: A small nonprofit that serves as an outreach advocate to the unhoused community.
- How they help: On an average cold night homeless are placed in what’s called non congregate shelters which is another terminology for hotels and motels. This program provides temporary shelter to individuals and families when the nighttime wind-chill temperature is predicted to reach below 40 degrees usually for 1-2 nights.
- Contact: (225) 253-0324
- Want to volunteer? Donate here: PayPal.Me
East Baton Rouge Parish
ST. VINCENT DE PAUL BISHOP OTT SWEET DREAMS SHELTER
- Purpose: Provides overnight shelter, washing, drying, meals, and assistance in finding work
- How they help: In addition to its night shelters for men, the nonprofit has a recently constructed Bishop Ott Shelter for Women and Children which is a 36-bed facility equipped with separate rooms that allows the shelter to serve both single women and families.
- Contact: 1623 Convention Street Baton Rouge, LA 70802 Shelter for men: (225) 383- 7343 / Shelter for Women & Children: (225) 383- 7341
- Want to volunteer? Call (225) 383-7343
CAPITAL AREA ALLIANCE FOR THE HOMELESS
- Purpose: Provides a service center and day shelter to individuals without homes, and helps those who need overnight shelter find a local shelter.
- How they help: CAAH partners provide Emergency Shelter, Transitional Housing, and Permanent Supportive Housing for chronically homeless individuals, persons with a range of disabilities, and families experiencing homelessness for the first time.
- Contact:153 N 17th St, Baton Rouge, LA 70802 / (225) 388-5800
- Want to volunteer? Click here.
A DOOR OF HOPE WOMEN’S HELP CENTER
- Contact: 12201 Florida Blvd, Livingston, LA 70754 / (225) 686-7747