Ascension Parish and City of Gonzales providing sand bag information
GONZALES, La. (BRPROUD) – Roads are starting to flood in the area due to the rain coming through right now.
East Baton Rouge Parish is seeing flooding on the roadways:
- I-110 at North 22nd St. is flooded
- High water has been reported at the following locations: Industriplex at Airline Industriplex at Exchequer Exchequer at Rieger Please exercise extreme caution when traveling in the area.
- High water has also been reported at the following locations: S. Acadian under the Railroad Sherwood Commons at Airline Coursey at Stumberg 6200 Block of Chattanouga Dr 16000 Block of S Harrell’s Ferry Please exercise extreme caution when traveling in the area
- High water has also been reported at: I-110 at Capital Access Coursey at Lake Lawrence Cedarcrest at S Hampton Lobdel at Liberty Lagoon Florida at S Woodale Essen at United Plaza Blvd.
High water has also been reported at:
- 12500 BRITAIN
- 15900 FERRELL AVE
- TIGER BEND / HOO SHOO TOO
- 16000 Chadsford
- 16278 Confederate
- 6200 Chattanouga
- 12500 Britain
- AZROK / LORANGER
- Sherwood / Airline
RT BR_Traffic The exit ramp from I-110 North to North Street (exit 1D) is now open. Congestion remains at I-10/110.— Baton Rouge Traffic (@BTRtraffic) July 6, 2020
RT BR_Traffic Congestion has cleared on I-10 East past Highland Road.— Baton Rouge Traffic (@BTRtraffic) July 6, 2020
RT BR_Traffic The right lane is blocked I-110 South past Harding Boulevard for vehicle recovery. Congestion is minimal.— Baton Rouge Traffic (@BTRtraffic) July 6, 2020
This picture below was taken at I-10 East about 1/4 mile before hwy 73 (exit 173)
Ascension Parish is already seeing some issues with flooding on roads:
- Burnside from Hwy. 30 to Arline Hwy. is currently flooded. Drivers are asked to find an alternate route, as only Airline Hwy is currently passable. The entire area is to be avoided.
- Right lane of Burnside and Airline
- Outside lane of S Cabelas and Hwy. 30
- S. Outfitters Dr.
- N. Burnside at E. Roosevelt
- E. Fabian
- W Orice Roth at S. Lanoux
- Ringer St.
- W. Cornerview west of S. Burnside
- George Rouyea at Black Bayou
- Highway 44 from Airline Highway to Highway 30 is not passable at this time due to high water.
- Highway 30 at Outfitters Drive near Cabela’s is not passable due to high water.
Pictures below are from : Hwy 44 which is closed at Hwy 30
Ascension Parish has made sand bags available at these locations:
- Butch Gore Park, Harry Savoy Rd, St. Amant
- 7th District Fire Dept. Roddy Rd, Gonzales
- Fire Station #1 Hwy 61, Gonzales
- Prairieville Fire Dept. Hwy 73 @ Miller Rd, Prairieville
- Jackie Roberson Park, Coco Rd, Geismar
- 5th Ward Fire Dept. Hwy 22 @ Astroland Subd., Darrow
- Stevens Park, Cannon Rd, St. Amant
- DPW West, 725 Church Street – Donaldsonville
Ascension Parish is activating their pumps too, the parish had this message for its residents:
Ascension Parish officials are notifying everyone to be prepared for heavy rains that are
anticipated today and through the week.
“I have instructed my staff to activate the Marvin Braud and Sorrento pumping stations” said
Parish President Clint Cointment.
Cointment also noted that there is potential for flash flooding and urges residents in flood prone areas to take precautions.
“As soon as the threat of Tropical Storm Cristobal passed our staff immediately got to work and refilled all sea cans at all locations,” said Cointment.
The City of Gonzales provided this information about sandbags:
The City of Gonzales is now giving out sandbags to City residents at the City Maintenance Barn located at 2919 S. Darla Avenue.
Each person picking up sandbags must have a drivers license with a City of Gonzales address.
We will deliver sandbags to residents of the City of Gonzales that are unable to pick them up.
Please call (225) 647-2841 for assistance.
We will continue operations as long as necessary.