Local home a ‘total loss’ after late night fire


BATON ROUGE, La. (BRProud) – The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to 3132 Ontario St. on Saturday, May 2.

The call came in a little before 9:15 p.m. and after arriving, firefighters went to work putting the fire out.

With the help of seven total units, four pumpers and one ladder, firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in around 20 minutes.

Fire investigators believe the origin of the fire was the clothes dryer.

BRFD said, “the occupant stated there was a smell of smoke and upon investigating determined clothes were on fire in the dryer.”

There were three people working and living in the structure at the time of the fire and one of them unsuccessfully tried to put the fire out.

According to the Baton Rouge Fire Department, “fire heavily damaged over half of the structure and the rest sustained significant heat, smoke and water damage.

The home sustained $120,000 in damages and is considered a total loss.

The Red Cross and Entergy assisted the Baton Rouge Fire Department at the scene of the fire.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories