12 people displaced after Christmas morning duplex fire

Local News

BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – St. George Fire Department has concluded its investigation after responding to a residential duplex fire on Christmas Day that left two families displaced.

Firefighters responded to the 8000 block of Skysail Avenue at 2:12 a.m. and found four residents who had escaped the duplex fire, but two residents were seriously burned. The burn victims were treated and transported to Baton Rouge General by emergency services. The other two uninjured residents went to a neighbor’s house. Six members of a family living in the neighboring duplex also escaped unharmed. Although the fire was primarily on one side, both residences were deemed unlivable by the fire department.

Two residents were not home at the time of the fire leaving a total of 12 people displaced. St. George Fire Department says the cause of the fire was the result of unattended cooking. Through an investigation, fire investigators learned that the smoke detectors had been removed before the fire and weren’t found on the scene.

“The lack of working smoke detectors contributed to circumstances that resulted in two of the residents receiving serious burn injuries,” the fire department says in a press release.

Copyright 2022 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories