BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- Tropical Storm Nicholas could bring as much as 20 inches of rainfall in Louisiana over the next several days. As the American Red Cross continues to provide aid to Louisianans who were affected by Hurricane Ida, they offer these flood safety tips ahead of Tropical Storm Nicholas:
- Turn around, don’t drown! Stay off the roads. If you must drive and you encounter a flooded roadway, turn around and go another way.
- Follow evacuation routes and do not try to take shortcuts because they may be blocked.
- If you are staying home, decide your best protection for high winds and flooding. Take shelter in a designated storm shelter or an interior room for high winds.
- Stay away from glass windows and doors.
- If you live in an area prone to flooding, move to higher ground before flooding begins.
- Tune into your local radio, NOAA radio or news channels for the latest updates.
- Stay away from floodwaters. Beware of snakes, insects and other animals that may be in or around floodwaters and your home.
- Keep children and pets away from hazardous sites and floodwaters.
- If power lines are down, don’t step in puddles or standing water.
Tp access real time storm information and safety tips, click here.