Lightning causes apartment fire on Monday afternoon

Local News

BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) – On Monday afternoon, the Baton Rouge Fire Department and St. George Fire Department were called to the Edgewood Apartments on 4949 Stumberg Ln.

Upon arrival at 2:30 p.m., firefighters found “the attic of apartment 74 on fire,” according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

It took firefighters less than 15 minutes to put the fire out with the help of 7 total units, four pumpers and one ladder.

Investigators determined the fire was started by a lightning strike.

The St. George Fire Department said, “several tenants reported seeing lightning strike the cased-in wooden structure on the roof that housed two fireplace chimney flues.”

The structure sustained $10,000 in damages.

BRFD says, “the attic received fire damage and the apartment was left with some water damage.”

There were no reported injuries related to this fire.

LATEST POSTS

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories