ASCENSION PARISH, La. (WVLA/WGMB) — As Hurricane Sally trends toward Mississippi and Alabama, Ascension Parish residents hope to avoid the storm’s wrath. But when it comes to preparation, they’re not taking a chance.
Public school facilities will remain closed parishwide Tuesday, as the storm makes landfall eastward — possibly as a Category 2 or Category 3 hurricane.
The parish has opened the Lamar-Dixon Expo Center in Gonzales for farmers wishing to protect their livestock from outdoor elements. Cara’s House, the parish’s animal shelter, is offering shelter for cats and dogs.
Parish officials have also drained water at pumping stations, to make room for any rainfall.
Here is a list of sandbag locations across Ascension Parish.
- Darrow Fire Station
- Butch Gore Memorial Park, 14550 Harry Savoy Rd., St. Amant
- Ascension Parish Fire Protection District No. 1, 13192 Airline Hwy., Gonzales
- Stevens Park, 4323 Cannon Road, Gonzales
- Jackie Robinson Memorial Park, 35638 Coco Road, Geismar
- Galvez Lake Fire Dept, Joe Sevario Rd.
- 7th District Fire Dept, Roddy Rd.
- St. Amant Park
- Highway 431 curve in Lake
- Kleinpeter Rd.@ Ridge Rd.
- Buxton Rd.
- Prairieville School, Parker Rd.
- Tullier Subdivision
- Modeste Brusly Township Road
- Lemanville Park
- Abend Park
- Saint Jude Subdivision
- DPW West, Church St, Donaldsonville
- Palo Alto Fire Station
Residents need to bring their own shovels.