BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD)- At the start of the pandemic, local entrepreneur, Laketa Smith worried about the impact on our mental health due to the stress of the “new norm”.
Smith took the opportunity to create a business to impower positivity and mental wellness during hard times.
Smith has lost 12 people in her life due to COVID-19.
“We wanted to inspire and provide hope during a pandemic,” Smith said. “We wanted to make sure the world knew we were going to get through this together.”
She then launched a candle line, ‘Resilient.’ an inspirational candle brand. The revenue from the brand goes back to her non-profit ‘A Bella LaFemme Society’ which funds scholarships and mental wellness resources.
“You’re not just buying a candle you are seeding back into our community and supporting mental wellness.”
Each purchase comes with an affirmation devotion. Smith says since her launch her customers have thanked her for creating a business which reminds them to remain positive in 2020.
“It is so important to support black businesses because for hundred of years we have been on the backs of America,” Smith said. “It is our time, it is our time to thrive.”
All candles are handmade by Smith and made with soy.
Her non-profit A Bella LaFemme Society provides the following:
- Scholarships for minority women
- Empower, advocate, alleviate hardships, reduce traumas through building resourceful sisterhoods
- Provide referral for mental health resources
- Free self defense and gun safety
- 24 hour crisis line
Smith says releasing product during the pandemic did hurt her finically, but she knew it was going to be okay because the revenue goes to a good cost.
“I can’t complain, even though things are not the same,” Smith said.
- Tigers Sweep Events in Win Over Georgia
- 1 killed after Las Vegas-based bus rolls over near Grand Canyon, 44 transported to medical center
- LPSO investigating rash of nighttime burglaries at Le Triomphe
- Baylor added to 2021 LSU Baseball Schedule
- Friday Night: Cloudy and foggy tonight; Slightly drier for weekend