Baton Rouge girl hailed a hero after alerting family of house fire

Local News

BATON ROUGE, La. (NBC Local 33) (FOX 44) — A little girl is being hailed a hero after alerting her family to an early morning fire in the Shenandoah neighborhood.

“I heard it beeping and mom told me all about it,” said 10-year-old Amber Cahill. “So, I knocked on her door and told her.”

Cahill’s mother, Heather Ryan said she saw a story on the news about nine months ago that encouraged her to install a carbon monoxide detector in the home. “It had saved a family’s life and it scared me, so I went and bought one,” said Ryan.

The St. George Fire Department was dispatched to 16000 block of Shenandoah at 3:10 a.m. on a report that a house and attic were filled with smoke.

“My step-brother started walking down the hall because he heard me and he was like, ‘What’s wrong?’ and I’m just telling him to hold his breath,” said Cahill.

The fire was extinguished and declared under control at 3:24 a.m. after firefighters located the fire in a storage room. “Carbon monoxide is a silent killer,” said Eldon Ledoux, a spokesperson for the St. George Fire Department. “It can be fatal within 20 minutes.”

Due to the 10-year-old’s quick reaction after hearing the alert of a carbon monoxide detector, there were no injuries.

Investigators with the St. George Fire Department determined the cause of the fire was electrical in nature. A battery charger was plugged into an outlet and sitting atop a cardboard box filled with old vinyl records. Investigators believe either the charger, battery or power cord overheated to provide the heat of ignition.


Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories