BATON ROUGE, La. (BR Proud) — The coronavirus has dominated headlines in 2020, but Americans still have other dangers to worry about, including violent crime and traffic crashes. With that in mind, WalletHub has put together its list of the safest — and hence, least safest — cities in America for this year.
The rankings show that Baton Rouge has some work to do. Out of 182 cities in WalletHub’s report, Baton Rouge came in at number 176 — making it the 7th least safe city in America.
WalletHub compared 182 cities in its report and focused on three primary categories: home and community safety, natural disaster risk, financial safety. Baton Rouge fared especially poor in home and community safety, ranking last at 182 — barely surpassing Detroit, MI.
The report also considers other ways people may feel insecure about their safety, like taking out an unaffordable second mortgage, forgoing health insurance or even visiting unsecured websites.
Two other Louisiana cities were also named in the rankings. Shreveport came in at number 156 and New Orleans ranked number 164.
WalletHub compared 182 cities, including the 150 most populated U.S. cities, plus at least two of the most populated cities in each state. The data set ranges from COVID-19 cases in the past seven days per 100,000 residents and assaults per capita to unemployment rate and road quality.
The full report may be found on WalletHub’s website here.
- Police arrest man trying to enter D.C. security checkpoint with loaded gun, fake inauguration credentials
- LSU Goes For Hoops Win Vs. South Carolina Saturday Night
- President-elect Biden announces picks for science team as security tightens ahead of inauguration
- Watch: Two officers push unconscious teen driver to safety in ‘miracle’ rescue
- Baton Rouge Walk On’s hopes for a Saint’s win