BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- The Better Business Bureau of South Central Louisiana (BBB) says now is the best time to prepare for potential flood advisories.
If you have been affected by storm damage, you should still prepare in case of potential future disasters.
Here are some simple steps from the BBB that all homeowners and businesses can utilize to reduce the impact of natural disasters:
- Take pictures/video of your business or home as a point of reference in the event of an emergency.
- Back up critical digital files on a portable external hard drive and store it away from the office.
- Properly anchor fuel and propane tanks, so they don’t float away in case of flooding. Also, ensure you keep your fuel levels full ahead of storms.
- Have copies of your insurance policies on hand and have an electronic version available.
- Collect family photos and other mementos in a centralized and easily accessible area, preferably in a watertight container.
- Keep medicines together in a waterproof container.
- Prepare an emergency kit with a change of clothes, weather appropriate footwear, flashlight, water, and battery or crank operated radio to monitor the weather without electricity.
- Discuss your emergency plan with your family. Designate a “safe place” inside if you have to take shelter and a meeting place outside in case you have to evacuate.
For more information on preparation for flooding and heavy rain, click here.