BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- The Baton Rouge Area Chamber released the monthly COVID-19 economic indicator dashboard that examines the impact the pandemic made on the regional economy.
Some key findings from this month’s dashboard include:
- Jobs fell by 1,400 from April to May, with Construction and Professional Services hit the hardest.
- Leisure & Hospitality added 800 jobs.
- After consecutive months of job losses, Baton Rouge remains significantly behind its peer metros in job recovery, with the region 23,000 below its job count from the month the pandemic shut down the economy.
- Weekly unemployment claims remained flat throughout June, with approximately 10,000 total claims each week since the end of May.
- Consumer spending is consistently above pre-pandemic numbers in the Capital Region’s three largest parishes, and hotel occupancy continues to be strong, showing that there is still high confidence in the economy.
You can view previous and current dashboards here.