BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- Baton Rouge Fire Department are actively working arson related cases.
BRFD investigators average a 30% clearance rate on cases. (National average is 23%) They also average a 19% arrest rate. (National average is 13%) The difference in clearing a case and making an arrest on a case can be for many reasons. Some of those cleared without arrest may include culpability, mental illness, counseling for juveniles or other reasons.
Looking back to recent years to do some comparisons for the months of January thru June. It does show an increase of arson investigations since the beginning of the Pandemic.
Number of arson cases January thru June
Here are some tips provided by the Baton Rouge Fire Department on ways you can prevent arson fires at your home:
·Keep leaves, firewood, overgrown brush and shrubbery and other combustibles away from buildings.
· Keep doors and windows locked when a building is unoccupied. Board up abandoned buildings.
· Store all flammable liquids such as; paints, gasoline, and mowers in an approved storage location: locked cabinets, locked storage units, and locked garages (prevent access to kids). Also, keep away from heat sources such as furnaces and any type of heaters.
· Report suspicious activity near houses or other buildings to the local police and support Neighborhood Watch programs.
· If you suspect a child is setting fires, notify the proper authorities. It may not be “just a phase” they are going through. Keep matches and lighters out of reach and out of sight of young children.
· If you know or suspect that an arson crime has been committed, contact your local fire or police department.
Tips can be made to Crime Stoppers 344-7867or directly to Fire Investigators at 225-354-1419