The Livingston Parish Sheriff’s Financial Crimes Division have tracked card skimming activity at the Kangaroo Express located in Albany, La.
According to authorities, skimmers are placed on the inside of the gas pumps and cannot be detected without opening the gas pump. Dating back to September 2017, a total of 6 credit card skimmers have been located at this one location off Hwy 43 in Albany.Through skimmers, suspects obtain an individual’s credit card information and create duplicate credit cards that they can use to conduct unauthorized purchases.
Suspects usually target the outer side gas pumps that are furthest from the gas station to place skimmers on,” according to Sheriff Jason Ard.
Sheriff Ard says this location has seen skimming activity four times dating back to 2017 and that his office is looking into why this location has fallen victim to the scheme at this rate.
- September 11, 2017 – by LPSO
- February 15, 2018 – by LA Dept of Ag
- March 5, 2018 – by LPSO
- March 13, 2018 – by LPSO
The Livingston Sheriff’s Office has some helpful tips to avoid falling prey to this scheme:
- When paying for gas, it is better to pay inside with cash or credit.
- If you pay at the pump with your debit card, you should use the credit option and not enter your pin #.
- Check your accounts weekly for any suspicious activity or unauthorized transactions.