BOYCE, La. (AP) — An on-duty local police officer’s patrol car hit and killed an unidentified man who was standing with a bicycle just inside a highway traffic lane early Tuesday, Louisiana State Police said.
Troopers are investigating the incident involving a city police officer from nearby Boyce, a news release said.
The officer was driving south about 2 a.m. Tuesday on Louisiana Highway 1 near Alexandria International Airport, and the man was standing in the southbound lane near the fog line, according to the statement by Senior Trooper Casey Wallace, a state police spokesman.
The man died at the scene. His body was taken to the Rapides Parish Coroner’s Office for identification and toxicology screening.
The officer was not injured and is not suspected of impairment but a routine toxicology analysis is pending. Speeding also is not suspected, Wallace said in a phone interview.
- US purchases $290 million of drug for use in radiological and nuclear emergencies
- $1.4 million to fight crime in three Baton Rouge neighborhoods
- WATCH: Bonfire explodes at Florida high school’s homecoming
- ‘American Idol’ finalist from Gonzales performing in Baton Rouge on Thursday night
- Mississippi seeks to derail federal suits over mental health