BOYCE, La. (AP) — An on-duty local police officer’s patrol car hit and killed an unidentified man who was standing with a bicycle just inside a highway traffic lane early Tuesday, Louisiana State Police said.
Troopers are investigating the incident involving a city police officer from nearby Boyce, a news release said.
The officer was driving south about 2 a.m. Tuesday on Louisiana Highway 1 near Alexandria International Airport, and the man was standing in the southbound lane near the fog line, according to the statement by Senior Trooper Casey Wallace, a state police spokesman.
The man died at the scene. His body was taken to the Rapides Parish Coroner’s Office for identification and toxicology screening.
The officer was not injured and is not suspected of impairment but a routine toxicology analysis is pending. Speeding also is not suspected, Wallace said in a phone interview.
- Report: US returning thousands of migrant minors into ‘harm’s way’
- Office of Human Trafficking Prevention looks to help more survivors
- Arnaudville man arrested by deputies for alleged indecent behavior with a juvenile
- United Airlines to update dress code for flight attendants, relax rules on tattoos, makeup, nose piercings
- Here’s how you can get paid to eat ice cream