BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – For the second year in a row, the Diocese of Baton Rouge Child Nutrition Program is providing free boxed meals to children throughout the summer months.
The program began today, and is scheduled to run through July 23. Children ages 18 and under are eligible, and Catholic school enrollment is not a requirement.
This summer’s boxed meals include seven breakfasts, seven lunches and one gallon of milk. This is an increase from last year’s program when boxes contained five breakfasts and five lunches each.
“We’re starting with these numbers, but we’ll work toward whatever the community needs,” said Lynda Carville, director of Child Nutrition Program. “Children are home in the summer and their parents may be unemployed or underemployed because of the pandemic.”
The federal grant funded program served 60,000 meals last year. The Child Nutrition Program (CNP) partnered with City Group Hospitality, a locally owned business operating nine restaurants in the Baton Rouge area.
CNP dietitian Amanda Breaux has worked with City Group owner Stephen Hightower to design a nutrient-rich menu that appeals to children. Breakfasts will include fresh fruit, muffins and cereals, while hearty lunches include BBQ pulled pork sandwiches with green beans and chicken nuggets with mashed potatoes, peas, and carrots.
There are nine distribution sites through the diocese. Five in East Baton Rouge Parish, one in West Baton Rouge Parish, and three in Iberville Parish. Pick up times are from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
When and where to get weekly free meals:
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church (East Baton Rouge Parish)
- St. John the Evangelist Church (Iberville Parish)
- St. Alphonsus School (East Baton Rouge Parish)
- Holy Family Catholic Church (West Baton Rouge Parish)
- St. Jean Vianney School (East Baton Rouge Parish)
- Our Lady of Prompt Succor Church (Iberville Parish)
- St. George Catholic Church (East Baton Rouge Parish)
- Immaculate Heart of Mary Church (Iberville Parish)
- Redemptorist St. Gerard School (East Baton Rouge Parish)
For more information, call the CNP office at 225-387-6421 or follow on social media: Child Nutrition Program on Facebook or diobr_childnutrition on Instagram.