Ignoring energy efficiency can come back to haunt you
NEW ORLEANS, La (WVLA/WGMB)– High electric bills can be frightening, but with a little care and attention, they don’t have to be. So, while you’re carving pumpkins and trying on costumes this Halloween season, use these simple tricks to slash your energy usage:
- Vanquish phantom load by turning off appliances and electronics that use power even when you’re not using them. These “vampires” sit in stand-by mode and suck energy that can add to the cost of your bill. Plug these devices into power strips and turn them off regularly with the push of a button.
- Banish sneaky phone chargers and power adapters by unplugging them and whatever they are charging when not needed.
- Trap escaping air from windows and doors by using caulking or weather-stripping leaky areas and closing chimney flues.
- Ward off witches by lowering the heat on that fiery cauldron (aka water heater).
- Scare away ghosts with LED bulbs, which last longer and use less energy than traditional bulbs.
- Guard against evil power surges from lightning or voltage spikes by using surge protectors on expensive electronics and appliances.
- Keep ghouls out of your yard with Entergy security lighting.
- Add a hedge of protection by installing new insulation in walls and attics.
- Treat yourself to a new Energy Star-rated appliance.
You also can save energy and money through valuable rebates and incentives on a variety of energy-efficient appliances, products and upgrades. If you live in Orleans Parish, check out the Energy Smart program, and if you live outside of Orleans Parish, you can benefit from Entergy Solutions – A Louisiana Program.