BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD) The Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development urges motorists to take extra safety precautions when traveling since areas in Louisiana are expected to be impacted by severe weather and heavy rainfall due to Hurricane Ida.
If you must be on the road, DOTD says to follow these safety tips:
- Do not drive unless you must.
- Avoid driving in standing or running water.
- Avoid driving while distracted.
- Avoid using cruise control when visibility is low or road surfaces are wet.
- Always allow for extra driving time.
- Make sure there is plenty of room between vehicles.
- Have your headlights on when using windshield wipers
- Never drive through areas with downed power lines or utility poles.
- Never drive around or remove “road closed” barricades for any reason.
Crews are keeping watch on weather forecasts on the expected severe weather and are preparing if any roads are affected by Hurricane Ida. If roads must be cleared, DOTD has chain saws and other equipment.
DOTD encourages drivers to check any updates on road conditions before driving by using these resources:
- 511 Traveler Information website or call 511 and say route or region for any information
- Sign up for myDOTD for updates on information, projects, road closures etc.
- Check social media via DOTD Twitter and DOTD Facebook