BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The East Baton Rouge Parish School Board is looking for an applicant to fill the seat vacated when Katharine “Katie” Kennison suddenly resigned. Applications for an interim member are due soon, and an election will be held next year.
Kennison’s resignation from serving District 8 was effective Sept. 14.
According to the office of the Louisiana Secretary of State, a special election must be held to fill the remainder of her term, which ends Dec. 31, 2026. The next election dates that this race can be on the ballot are March 23, 2024 (primary) and April 27, 2024 (general).
The board announced that it plans to fill the position with an interim member at its Thursday, Sept. 28, meeting.
To qualify, residents must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Live in District 8 for at least the past year.
- Have been a Louisiana resident for at least two years.
- Be able to read and write.
- Not serve on specific other boards defined by the Constitution of Louisiana.
- Take the appropriate oath.
Candidates should submit a letter of intent, resume or short biography and a Certificate of Residency/Qualifications from the East Baton Rouge Parish Registrar of Voters to Superintendent Sito Narcisse by Monday, Sept. 25. Click here to learn more about how to apply.