BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Authorities say the 28-year-old mother of two-year-old Mitchell Robinson has been arrested since the toddler’s fatal overdose in June.

According to a Tuesday, August 2 news release from the East Baton Rouge Sheriff’s Office (EBRSO), Whitney Adriel Ard was arrested following the release of a toxicology report pertaining to her young son’s death.

Authorities suspect the little boy may have ingested pills that were left lying around and was not immediately treated after consuming the pills.

EBRSO details what happened in an official report, stating that it was around 10:20 a.m., Sunday, June 26 when EMS brought the toddler to a local hospital, where he was declared deceased. At that time, medical personnel noted that young Robinson’s death was suspicious.

Deputies say they asked his mother what happened and Ard told them her little boy seemed fine the night before and had been playing with his older sibling. She added that early Sunday morning, he’d asked her for something to eat and she gave him a bowl of cereal before she went back to sleep.

Ard then told deputies it was around 7 a.m. when she woke up to find her son in bed with her, unresponsive, cold to the touch, and that his tongue had turned blue.

This is when she says she called 911, and both she and a friend performed CPR on the little boy as they waited for help to arrive.

But another witness, the child’s older sibling, told deputies there was more to what happened.

According to an official report, “the sibling disclosed that in the past she has seen a lot of pills on her mother’s bed and her brother “ate mom’s pills.” When their mother found out her brother ate some of the pills her mother whipped him and made him go to bed. Later on, their mother took him to the hospital.”

Authorities say this tragic incident was not the first time Ard brought young Robinson to the hospital.

They say she had him seen by hospital personnel at least two additional times within the past few months: once, in April, for “breathing issues” and again on June 4. According to deputies, the later visit led to Robinson being admitted and treated for lethargic behavior, acute respiratory failure, as well as a seizure disorder.

Authorities say Ard had just been released from prison two days prior to her son’s death. After the tragic incident, she is once again behind bars on one count of negligent homicide.