BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Emergency services say they received a 911 call about multiple students at Democracy Prep Baton Rouge ingesting an unknown type of drug on Friday. The school says that a student is believed to have passed around edibles.
Democracy Prep released the following statement.
Dear Democracy Prep Families:
Today one of our scholars alerted us that they believed a student had passed out edibles assumed to be a controlled substance to other students. As soon as we heard this information, we immediately contacted EMS, the police, and reached out to the parents of the students affected. This is an unfolding situation and everyone is cooperating fully with the investigation. There is nothing we take more seriously than the health and wellbeing of our students and we want to thank the authorities and particularly EMS for responding within minutes to the school. At this time we understand that all of the affected students are in stable condition and are being reunited with their parents.Jalynn Jones, executive director at Democracy Prep Baton Rouge
ORIGINAL STORY: Five emergency service units responded to the school and six students were evacuated, according to Mike Chutstz, a spokesperson for the East Baton Rouge Emergency Medical Services.
One student was taken to the hospital in a stable condition.
The Baton Rouge Police Department says they became aware of multiple students possibly ingesting something because of their behavior.
This is a developing story.