BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – The family of an alleged killer says, they tried to get him off the streets fearing he would harm someone or himself.
The family of Kendrick Myles, 41, says “He felt like he was untouchable as far as the police.”
Last week, the fmaily watched the Baton Rouge Police Department’s news conference and heard Chief Murphy Paul make this statement.
“Somebody, somewhere in that person’s inter circle knew something where they could have picked up the phone and called law enforcement to prevent that shooting from happening” said Paul.
The family says, Chief Paul was correct, someone should have called and, in fact, they did.
“We have reached out to several agencies to get him some help to help us to get him off the street and to no avail, we got anything done” said Myles’ brother-in-law, J.L. Decuir.
Records show, Myles’ family called police several times over the years about his actions. They say, each time they were given a file number written on a card from BRPD or EBRSO, but it wasnt enough to keep him from harming those around him.
“BRPD, they failed the baby, the failed us. Just two weeks ago I called the police four times as he threatened me every day of my life and my kids. My son, 9-years-old was abducted” said Myles’ sister, Kimberly Myles.
The most recent call was made on September 24, 2020, three weeks before Myles would go on an apparent rampage, allegedly kidnapping his nephew, shooting a man, and ending a child’s life.
They say, his actions has caused several families pain over the years and finally, the man who terrorized so many is locked up.
“I want him to be punished to the fullest extent.” said Myles.