The U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced a voluntary recall of several medicines containing an ingredient used to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. The FDA said an active ingredient, valsartan, could be contaminated with a cancer causing agent. However, not all products containing valsartan are part of the recall.
The recalled products are:
- Medicine: Valsartan Company: Major Pharmaceuticals
- Medicine: Valsartan Company: Solco Healthcare
- Medicine: Valsartan Company: Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
- Medicine: Valsartan / Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) Company: Solco Healthcare
- Medicine: Valsartan / Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) Company: Teva Pharmaceuticals Industries Ltd.
Patients are urged to look at the drug name and company name on the label of their prescription bottle to determine whether a specific product has been recalled. If the patient has any questions, they should contact their pharmacist.
If a patient does have medicine included in the recall, they should contact their healthcare professional to discuss treatment options.
Since valsartan is in medicines used to treat serious medical conditions, the FDA said patients should continue taking the recalled medicines until they have a replacement product. For more information about the recall, see the FDA’s official statement.