Five people in critical condition after carbon monoxide poisoning due to running generator inside home

Local News

BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Five people, including three children, are in serious condition after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning at a home located in the 10400 block of Avenue D.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department, Baton Rouge Police Department and EMS all responded to the scene where multiple people were passed out inside a home.

Two adults and three children, ages 10, 12 and 15 were rushed to three different hospitals after first responders arrived at the scene.

“A relative returned home and found one of their family members unconscious. When they made entry into the home they found four other victims unconscious,” said Baton Rouge Fire Department, Justin Hill.

Hill said a generator running inside of the home was the cause of the poisoning.

“They realized that the generator had been running inside that home and went ahead and got out, the hazmat team and EMS units transport the patients for treatment”

It was later discovered that the CO levels were so high that people could die within minutes.

“You can’t see it, taste it or smell it,” Hill said. “Dizziness, confusion and generally feeling ill, like you have the flu and it can lead to convulsions, unconsciousness and eventually death.”

Hill said calls like this are too common.

“Unfortunately this time of year, hurricane season or when cold weather strikes we do have incidences of people running generators either too close to the home or inside of the home and it will lead to CO poisoning,” said Hill.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest BRProud Articles

More Local News

Stay up to date with the latest news by downloading the BRProud App from the App Store or Google Play.

Trending Stories