BATON ROUGE, La. (BR Proud) — Certified child safety seat technicians will check and install car seats across Louisiana on Sept. 26, also known as Seat Check Saturday. The free event is intended to help parents and grandparents feel confidant that their car seats are safe, legal and properly sized for their children.
Seat Check Saturday is organized by the Louisiana Passenger Safety Task Force, which partners with Louisiana State Police and the Louisiana Highway Safety Commission (LHSC) to increase awareness of the importance of child safety seats.
State officials say it can be hard for a guardian to know exactly when it is time to move a child from one car seat or position to another as the child gets older and grows. “This is a great opportunity to have certified technicians show a parent or caregiver which seat is right for a child and how to install it properly for maximum protection,” said LHSC executive director Lisa Freeman.
Site locations for ‘Seat Check Saturday’:
- Baton Rouge – East Baton Rouge Parish Sheriff’s Office, 9313 Burbank Drive,
- Baton Rouge/ New Orleans – St. Bernard Government Complex, 8201 West Judge Perez Drive,
- Chalmette/ Houma – West Park Climate Control Storage, 6767 West Park Ave.,
- Houma/ Alexandria – Rapides Regional Medical Center, 211 Fourth St.,
- Alexandria/ Monroe – Banner Ford, 6300 Frontage Road,
- Monroe/ Shreveport – Sheriff’s Safety Town, 8910 Jewella Ave.,
- Shreveport/ Lafayette – Goodwill Donation Center, 2435 W. Congress St.,
- Lafayette/ Northshore – Leblanc Pediatrics, 219 S. Tyler St. (Covington).
All events are from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 26. A separate event is being planned for the Lake Charles area, according to a statement from LHSC.
All State Police locations are also designated as certified fitting stations. For a complete list of stations in Louisiana, visit the LHSC website.