During the post game presser Coach Dawson Odums said, “This game has always had more meaning to it. Both teams are usually playing for a chance to move on. We didn’t have the crowd, the band and everything that usually accompanies the Bayou Classic. It’s a little different.” He went on to say, “They continue to work and continue to get better. They have a champion pedigree….A lot of teams focus on the opponent and beating their opponent. We focus on not beating ourselves. You play football one down at a time.
Grambling’s Coach Fobbs said, “I am proud of them (Grambling) it sounds crazy but it is very difficult for them to come to work everyday and face the things they have had to face behind closed doors. He went on to say, “All wins are not won on the field and this season my team has had some challenging wins and they fought well.”
The Bayou Classic excitement will return to New Orleans November 27, 2021.
Kick-Off is slated for 4:00pm.
End of 4th Quarter
The Southern University Jaguars clinch another Bayou Classic victory as they beat the Grambling State University Tigers.
Touchdown by #12 Glendon McDaniel. SU 49 GSU 7 13:46 left in the fourth quarter.
End of the 3rd Quarter
Touchdown by #5 Marquis McClain to keep raising the score. SU 42 GSU 7. 3:22 left in the third quarter.
Touchdown by #8 Braylon Richardson to put GSU on the board. SU 35 GSU 7. 9:01 left in the third quarter.
Touchdown by #8 Quarterback LaDarius Skelton SU 35 GSU 0 11:40 left in the third quarter.
End of the 2nd Quarter
Touchdown by #24 Jarodd Sims SU 28 GSU 0. :11 left in the second quarter.
Touchdown by #82 Travis Tucker SU 21 GSU 0 11:24 left in the second quarter.
End of 1st Quarter
Touchdown by #21 Craig Nelson. SU 14 GSU 0. 3:01 left in the first quarter.
Touchdown by #8 Quarterback Ladarius Skelton. SU 7 GSU 0 8:46 left in the first quarter.
Kickoff: Southern University won the toss and deferred to the second half of the game.
SHREVEPORT, La (BRPROUD) — Bayou Classic definitely looks different this year as the big game sis being played at Independence Stadium in Shreveport, La.
This is due to renovations being underway at the Mercedes Benz Superdome in New Orleans.
Let’s take a look at the numbers.
- 40,000 Fans attended the 1973 matchup the last time a game between both schools was played here.
- Southern has had 1632 total offense yards during this Spring Season.
- The longest pass for Southern in Bayou Classic history is 80-yds and was thrown in the 2018 matchup by current quarterback Ladarius Skelton.
- The most points scored by Southern in Bayou Classic History is 52 points in the 2014 game.
- The largest margin of victory for the Jaguars was during the 1981 Classic where the score was 50-20.
- Coach Pete Richardson had 12 wins in classic history.
- Coach Dawson Odums has 5 classic wins.
- The Jaguars still have a chance to make the SWAC Championship game.
- The Bayou Classic series is currently tied at 23-23
Kick-off is in just under an hour at 1:30PM and the game will air on NBC Sports. If you aren’t going to be near a television it’s okay. We’ll be bringing live up to the minute coverage right to your smartphone the entire game.