BATON ROUGE, La. (WVLA/WGMB) — The holiday season is an avenue for clutter. With the abundance of gift-giving, people are sometimes overwhelmed with all of the extras. This includes everything from gathering items for the holiday meal to hostess gifts and presents from family and friends.
Enter Sara West of South Coast Organizers. On a typical day, West is a professional office organizer. During the holidays, she takes on a dual role with tips and tricks to keep your home (and your mind) free of unnecessary clutter.
“I have so many clients that are overwhelmed with clutter,” said West. “While everyone loves receiving gifts, many of my clients feel obligated to keep something just because it was given as a gift, even if they don’t like it. We all give gifts to show love, we don’t want to burden the receiver with more stuff. “
West suggests giving gifts that are clutter-free, like experiences or consumables and provided a variety of options for clients.
Gifts that provide an experience:
- cooking classes,
- art classes,
- movie tickets,
- tickets to the zoo, museums or to a play,
- music lessons,
- dance lessons,
- tickets to a sporting event,
- membership to a gym or swimming pool,
- services such as housecleaning, spa, car detailing or professional organizing,
- Audible subscription,
- Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime subscription.
Gifts that are consumable experiences:
- wine club,
- beer of the month club,
- meat subscription (such as Iverstine Farms),
- spice box subscription (such as Red Stick Spice),
- CSA box,
- cheese of the month club,
- meal delivery service (like Blue Apron or Hello Fresh).