BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The Louisiana Department of Health (LDH) reports 48 additional Omicron variant cases in the state.
State health officials said none of these new cases have required hospitalizations.
The total number of Omicron variant cases in the state is now at 93. LDH said 77 of Omicron cases are probable and 16 are confirmed.
Omicron variant cases in Louisiana by region:
- Region 1 (Greater New Orleans Area): 81 – 71 probable; 10 confirmed
- Region 2 (Baton Rouge Area): 3 probable
- Region 4 (Acadiana): 1 confirmed
- Region 7 (Northwest): 6 – 2 probable; 4 confirmed
- Region 9 (Northshore): 2 – 1 probable; 1 confirmed
According to LDH: “Not all cases of Omicron can be identified, which means that there are many more cases of Omicron occurring in Louisiana than are reflected in our case counts. Within our state, Omicron outbreaks have been identified in universities, and cases have been identified in high-risk settings such as K-12 schools and nursing homes.”
The first Omicron case in Louisiana was reported by LDH on Dec. 3.