BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- The Louisiana Department of Health and the Louisiana Perinatal Quality Collaborative (LaPQC) announced 16 hospitals achieved new designations for committing to practices that will improve the quality and outcomes for Louisiana mothers giving birth.
The respective designations recognize consistent, thoughtful healthcare improvement work that focuses on improving safety, equity and promoting dignified birth. Hospitals that achieve Birth Ready Plus Designation have met a higher threshold of compliance and achievement of requirements. Applications are reviewed and renewed annually for sustained compliance.
“I am so proud of the work birth facilities are doing to reduce maternal morbidity and mortality in Louisiana, as well as address disparities. In partnering with the LaPQC, we have seen a 35% reduction in adverse outcomes from hemorrhage, with a 49% reduction in Black individuals; and a 12% reduction in adverse outcomes from hypertension,” said Dr. Veronica Gillispie-Bell, medical director of the LaPQC. “While all of our hospitals are making efforts to implement changes to improve outcomes, this designation recognizes those hospitals who have gone above and beyond to contribute to the improvement we are seeing for our mothers and families in Louisiana.”
For more information on Birth Ready Designation and a full list of hospitals, visit: https://partnersforfamilyhealth.org/birth-ready.
As of August 2021, the following Louisiana birthing hospitals have achieved Birth Ready Designation:
- Baton Rouge General
- Christus Ochsner Lake Area Hospital
- Christus St. Frances Cabrini Hospital
- East Jefferson General Hospital
- Jennings American Legion Hospital
- Lane Regional Medical Center
- Ochsner LSU Health Monroe
- Ochsner LSU Health Shreveport St. Mary Medical Center
- Ochsner Medical Center Kenner
- Willis-Knighton South and the Center for Women’s Health
- Woman’s Hospital
As of August 2021, the following Louisiana birthing hospitals have achieved Birth Ready+ Designation:
- North Oaks Medical Center
- Ochsner Baptist Medical Center
- Ochsner Medical Center Baton Rouge
- Our Lady of the Angels Hospital
- Tulane Lakeside Hospital for Women and Children