FRENCH SETTLEMENT, La. (BRPROUD) — A fire has forced a family of five out of their home in Livingston Parish this Christmas.
For the Lawless family, the perfect Christmas Day turned into a tragedy.
“We woke up at 4:30 in the morning. Seeing smoke, we rescued our kids, got them outside,” said Brian Lawless, father of the family.
The Livingston Fire Department told the family the fire started in their outside garbage can. Possibly from throwing out batteries that still had power. Batteries should be recycled because they can easily spark a fire with common household items.
“We could have thrown an old battery away that could have sat there and sparked and engulfed in flames,” said Devyn Lawless, mother of the family.
The garbage can was resting against a fence touching the wall of the five and eight-year-old daughters’ room. Devyn said she feels grateful she let her children sleep in the living room that night after they opened Christmas presents.
“Important paperwork like birth certificates, all that can be replaced. But my little humans can’t be,” said Devyn.
The home is at a total loss. They are reminded of their pain every day, still sleeping on the property in a family trailer.
Devyn said their story has touched many. Community members come by daily to help clean up and donate clothes.
”It’s more about who you have in your life versus what you have,” she said. “I have a good community and my little kids are keeping me strong.”
The family is asking for the following donations:
- Clothes and shoes for 2-year-old boy
- Clothes and shoes for 5-year-old girl
- Clothes and shoes for 8-year-old girl
- Men’s size small clothes and size 9/10 shoes
- Women’s size medium clothes and size 7 shoes
Donations can be dropped off at Ragin’ Cajun Nutrition and Longanecker Pools Of Louisiana.
They are also accepting donations through GoFundMe here.