Today, the Louisiana State Senate held its 15th Annual Military Family Day to honor Louisiana Fallen Heroes and their families during the legislative session in the Senate Chamber at the State Capitol.
Since the Military Family Day program began in 2005, the Senate has honored 234 fallen soldiers from Louisiana serving in the U.S. military for their sacrifice in defense of freedom.
This year, five fallen heroes were honored with a resolution, authored and read by Senator Gerald Boudreaux, and passed by the entire membership. Each Senate Resolution (SR) was given to the soldier’s family along with a state flag.
The following were honored:
- LCPL Dylan Achord, United States Marine Corps
- LCPL Cole Estelle, United States Marine Corps
- SPC Duke Gilmore, Mississippi National Guard
- SGT Matthew Roberts, Louisiana National Guard
- CPL Jessie Wilhite, United States Marine Corps
A balloon release was also held for the fallen soldiers on the capitol steps.