BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — LSU set a record $6.1 billion in economic impact on the state, the university said Monday morning.
According to LSU, the economic output included over $2.4 billion in statewide earnings and an estimated 45,700 direct and indirect jobs in fiscal year 2021-2022. The university added that it equals to $690 of output per resident and $13.85 for every dollar of state funding to LSU.
“LSU’s campuses contribute a tremendous amount to the state, and the Scholarship First Agenda is a targeted path toward increasing our impact,” said LSU President Dr. William Tate IV. “More difficult to measure but of vital importance are the tremendous cultural assets our faculty and students deliver through the arts, literature, music, and humanities. Those activities enrich lives and deepen community engagement – just another example of how LSU enhances Louisiana’s future.”
University officials said the flagship campus in Baton Rouge supported an estimated economic output of over $2.7 billion, $970 million in earnings and 24,450 jobs.
According to LSU, here’s how much campuses contributed to regional economies:
- LSU of Alexandria supported an estimated economic output of about $109 million, $32 million in earnings and 856 jobs.
- LSU-Eunice supported an estimated economic output of $72 million, $20 million in earnings and 57 jobs.
- LSU-Shreveport campus supported an estimated economic output of $174 million, $52 million in earnings and 1,317 jobs.
- LSU Pennington Biomedical Research Center located in Baton Rouge supported an estimated economic output of $137 million, $54 million in earnings and 865 jobs.
- LSU AgCenter in Baton Rouge supported an estimated economic output of $282 million, $119 million in earnings and 2,356 jobs.
- LSU Health New Orleans and the Health Care Services Division supported an estimated economic output of $1.6 billion, $643.5 million in earnings and 9,118 jobs.
- LSU Health Shreveport supported an estimated economic output of $1.03 billion as well as an estimated $412 million in earnings and 6,164 jobs.
- LSU Flagship’s Athletics Program operations supported an estimated economic output of $498 million, $260 million in earnings and 6,174 jobs.