BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD)- With Mardi Gras 2021 being cancelled in the capitol city, Mid City Gras is finding a way to celebrate while following COVID-19 mitigations.
While there will be no parade, krewes will decorate their homes to match the theme of 2021, MASKparade.
“We thought this would a safe and responsible way to celebrate a holiday that is part of the fabric of Louisiana culture.” said Twanda Lewis, president of Mid City Gras. “We want to inspire creativity and uplift the community during a difficult time.”
The homes will be judged for an award.
Those who want to participate can register here for $15 dollars.
“This has been a tough, sad few months for everyone,” said Nathan Ryan, head of the Mid City Gras Irreverence Committee. “We want people to enjoy our reverse parade and hopefully, we can come back strong with a full Mid City Gras in 2022.”
- Four Angola corrections officers arrested for alleged excessive use of force
- WATCH: Exclusive video access of Seacor lift boat wreckage
- Guild Esports wins ‘Rocket League’ trophy
- Miami to South Texas: sailors hope to train future Mars astronauts, dock near SpaceX
- SEACOR LATEST: 8 remain missing from capsized lift boat as Coast Guard suspends search