BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – While the fate of Mardi Gras is still in limbo, some krewes in the Capitol City have already called it quits.
Mardi Gras is still in the cone of uncertainty this year.
Mayor Cantrell in New Orleans says there won’t be any parades in her city, but options are on the table for other Carnival activities.
Right here in Baton Rouge, some parades are already pulling out for the season. Myra Richardson,
The host of Krewe of Oshun, Myra Richardson says, “the priority and safety of our community has always been number one in our community. We were willing to cancel as early as the summer just depending on the safety and the health of our community.”
Myra Richardson works with the commission that hosts Krewe of Oshun, a North Baton Rouge parade that made its debut just last year.
Richardson says the organization chose to call it quits this year when the cases started to surge again.
Instead, the krewe is looking to do something different after carnival has passed.
“We’ll be looking toward doing a ball rather than a full blown parade, just to protect out community and protect our most valuable asset which is our people.”
While Oshun is trying to postpone their ball, Spanish Town is canceling there ball.
Bill Brumfield, a board member for the parade says a ball in this covid-climate, just isn’t worth it.
They won’t be able to serve alcohol all night and they won’t be able to bring all of their guests to the River Center because of Covid-19 restrictions.
Brumfield says, “we would have to have a whole lot more than 250 people to put the ball on and at 250 people we lose money.”
The parade is not canceled yet, but Brumfield says the krewe is holding on for a parade next year.
- Acadiana mom, daughter hope to inspire COVID-19 vaccine for path back to normal
- Children burning paper in BBQ pit start fire at Lafayette home; family displaced
- Overcrowding at shelter leads to waived adoption fees
- Saturday Night: Storms tomorrow; Unsettled pattern
- Dylan Crews Named National Freshman of the Year