BATON ROUGE, La. (LOCAL 33/FOX 44) – East Baton Rouge Parish now has three confirmed cases of Coronavirus. City-Parish leaders expect that number to increase as more people get tested.
Cars lined up more than two and a half hours before the third day of drive-thru testing for the Coronavirus. This, just one day after testing was ended early Tuesday in order to not run out of supplies. The testing site is a parish-wide effort that is a collaboration with all the hospital systems in the city.
“Those hospitals and clinics are the ones donating these test kits and so we are working aggressively to obtain more tests for our community,” Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome said.
Broome says the tests are sent to private doctors. The results are expected in three to five days.
Hospital staff say more than 450 people have been tested so far this week. The goal is to keep the tests going.
Broome added, “The site will begin accepting new orders Thursday as more COVID-19 tests become available.”
The mayor is also urging people to donate blood due to a low supply. The drive-thru testing is expected to happen Monday through Friday from 1pm to 3pm.