Things are looking up for LSU on the academic front.
According to LSU, “following the modernization of the university’s recruiting model last fall, LSU brought in its largest, most academically gifted and diverse freshman class in history.”
The freshman class at LSU just finished their first semester and the results are in.
This new class at LSU includes 5,812 students and the university provided a rundown of how they are doing:
- Earning more credits in the first semester than the previous two incoming classes;
- Equaling the 2017 freshman class GPA;
- Louisiana residents meeting the qualifications to retain their TOPS scholarships at a higher rate; and
- Seeing an improvement in fall to spring retention levels.
- The 2018 freshman class successfully earned more credits than the previous two freshman classes, and this is true among all freshman populations, including Louisiana residents, nonresident students, Pell students, first generation and historically underrepresented groups. In addition, the 2018 freshman class maintain the same GPA of the 2017 freshman class – 2.8 grade point average.
“This is a positive change reflective of what’s done at the majority of our peer flagship universities, and the proof is in the numbers,” LSU President F. King Alexander said. “Our students are out performing previous classes, and the quality of students at LSU has never been higher. The academic rigor and value of an LSU degree is at an all-time high, and through the comprehensive admissions process, we are able to identify students who will be most successful in completing their studies and earning their degrees.”
The 2018 freshman class came in with a mean GPA of 3.5 and a mean ACT score of nearly 26.
“This is a real tribute to the work our students, faculty and staff have done,” Alexander said. “This level of success is a promising sign and demonstrates the potential and aptitude of this exceptional class of students. They’ve not only exceeded previous classes, but we are providing more educational opportunities because working together to more successfully and strategically provide opportunities.”