BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – Ochsner Baton Rouge is promoting breast self-awareness by offering fun and informative events that focus on the importance of mammograms.
The week of Monday, Oct. 24 to Sunday, Oct. 29 is Mammo Week 2022. Each day will have prizes, activities, and offer mammograms. Every day, women can meet a panel of experts including fellowship-trained breast surgeon Lindsey Fauveau, M.D., lifestyle and wellness coach Jolie Relle, PA-C, and genetics counselor Jamiri Brown.
The event will also have massage chairs from Elevate by Ochsner. Food and drinks will be provided by Mestizo Louisiana Mexican Cuisine. Each person who attends the event will be eligible for the chance to win prizes.
Mammogram Week 2022:
- Monday, Oct. 24 – Ochsner Health Center – Gonzales
- Tuesday, Oct. 25 – Ochsner Health Center – Prairieville
- Wednesday, Oct. 26 – Ochsner Health Center – O’Neal
- Thursday, Oct. 27 – Ochsner Medical Complex – Iberville
- Friday, Oct. 28 – Ochsner Health Center – Tangipahoa (Hammond)
- Saturday, Oct. 29 – Ochsner Medical Complex – The Grove
Patients who receive their mammogram on Oct. 29 will receive a swag bag courtesy of Ochsner, Winn Dixie, Bra Genie, Kendra Scott, and more. Saturday’s event is free to attend but patients need to register.
Oschner says women should be familiar with how their breasts normally look, feel, and need to report any changes to their doctor. Many breast cancers don’t clearly show any symptoms and can only be detected with a mammogram.
Symptoms of breast cancer can include:
- Skin irritation or dimpling
- Breast or nipple pain
- Thickening of the skin
The hospital says women should have an individualized breast risk assessment by age 30 with their physician. Women at average risk of breast cancer should begin annual mammography screenings at age 40.