HOUMA, La. (AP) — Police in Louisiana said officers shot and killed a man with a gun who fired at them first.
Houma police responded to a report of shots fired at around 3 a.m. Sunday and found a man walking in the street with a gun, an agency spokesman told news outlets.
Officers along with deputies from the Terrebonne Parish Sheriff’s Office tried to talk to the man, but he fired his weapon at them and officers returned fire, authorities said. Cory Donell Truxillo, 43, was taken to a hospital where he died.
Louisiana State Police said it would investigate.
State Police did not provide any additional details, but said no officers or deputies were wounded.
- LIVE Friday Update: New video of conditions when Seacor Vessel capsized on Tuesday.
- BRFD responds to accidental fire started by repairman
- Families hope loved ones can be found alive in capsized boat
- Head of Tokyo Olympics again says games will not be canceled
- Louisiana lawmakers weigh medical marijuana expansion, tax