BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD)- As Tropical Storm Laura expects to enter the Gulf on August 26, volunteers from the city spent the day assisting locals fill sand bags to prepare for the storm.
The volunteers say even though Tropical Storm Marco did not effect the Baton Rouge area, we aren’t in the clear yet and still need to prepare for Tropical Storm Laura.
“Everyone certainly needs to stay on the lookout for Laura. If it hits Louisiana, we all need to be prepared,” volunteer Collin Raby said.
Throughout the day, volunteers filled sand bags and help load vehicles with sand bags.
“It truly feels great to giveback to the community and to do a great effort and to help individuals that are coming here get the assistance they need so they can be prepared for storms,” volunteer Carolyn Hill said.
Two volunteers at the Airline Highway Fairgrounds location were LSU students. While the students had the day off due to severe weather, they decided they wanted to spend their day off giving back.
“If there is something the community needs, why not go out and help. We were joking, if nothing else, it’s a good workout,” Raby said.
“I just really want to giveback,” volunteer Zoe Robbin said.
One local, Gigi Gilbert, has experienced flooding in her house from past storms. She felt grateful for the city offering free sand and volunteers.
“I never come get sand bags but this time I was like I better prepare.”
Gilbert decided to give back herself by bringing volunteers cold drinks.
“I know its hard to be out here, its hot. ” said Gilbert.
The Airline Highway Fairgrounds volunteers say they helped fill and giveaway a few hundred sandbags.
BREC is offering sand and sand bags at the following sites:
- BREC Airline Highway Fairgrounds, located at 16072 Airline Highway in Baton Rouge
- BREC Alsen Park, located at 601 Old Rafe Meyer Road in Baton Rouge
- BREC Cadillac Street, located at 6117 Cadillac St. in Baton Rouge
- BREC Hartley-Vey at Gardere Park, located at 1702 Gardere Lane in Baton Rouge
- BREC Lovett Road Park, located at 13443 Lovett Road in Baton Rouge
- BREC Memorial Stadium, located at 1702 Foss St. in Baton Rouge
- BREC Doyles Bayou Park, located at 7801 Port Hudson-Pride Road in Zachary
The latest on Tropical Storm Laura can be found here.
Sandbag locations in the Baton Rouge area can be found here.
- Child shot at Ascension Parish Family Dollar
- Cruelty caught on camera: TTPD seeks to identify who tossed kitten, ran over it
- Villa Del Rey Elementary celebrates ground breaking of school garden
- Judge: Suit over arrest of pipeline protesters can go on
- Feds: 2 men breached NFL, NBA players’ social media accounts