BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) – St. George Fire Department (SGFD) investigators say a mini freezer sparked a house fire in the 7700 block of Antebellum Avenue on Thursday night.

According to investigators, the fire spread to storage materials and boxes next to the freezer before spreading to two vehicles parked in the garage and then to the attic.

SGFD said upon arrival, Engine 653 found heavy fire coming from the attached garage side of the home and immediately went into offensive mode to stop the fire in its tracks. Firefighters determined that no one was in the house.

Fire crews controlled the flames within 30 minutes and were able to prevent the fire from spreading while saving the family’s personal items from damage.

Investigators located the homeowner who provided details about the fire, who said a loud popping sound was heard in the garage area and when they went to investigate they were met by a large amount of fire.

SGFD provides the following safety precautions regarding mini freezer/refrigeration products:

  • Keep ventilation openings clear of obstruction.
  • Flammable refrigerant may be used. Do not puncture refrigerant tubing.
  • Before connecting the mini-fridge to the power supply, make sure that the power plug and cord are in good working condition.
  • Do not use extension cords or powerstrips. Plug appliance directly into electrical outlet.
  • One of the main reasons for a mini-fridge to catch fire is the rise of temperature in its interior parts. So, you shouldn’t place a mini fridge on the carpet or store materials against appliance. Keep a 3 foot clearance around the appliance