BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- Southern University freshmen students will move into their new homes on campus on Tuesday, August 4th.
The university has taken precaution to insure the safety of all students and parents on move in day and in the dorms throughout the school year.
According to school officials, each building will have a set number of residents allowed to check-in during specific time slots.
Before entering the building residents and visitors will have their temperature checked and will be required to sanitize their hands and wear a mask.
The school has issued residence hall safety guidelines that students are to follow throughout the school year which includes:
- Anyone entering a residence hall/apartment building (including residents) must wear a mask while in common spaces.
- NO Visitation (strictly enforced).
- Signage will be placed on every suite entrance door as well as suite bedroom doors explaining how students should self-report COVID-19 symptoms/issues and social distance protocols.
- Residents should bring their own cleaning supplies to clean bedrooms/bathroom.
- Residents should keep all personal toiletries in their closets. (toothbrush, combs, curling irons.
- Custodian staff will be going into the suites to clean bathrooms on a scheduled basis. This schedule will be posted in the rooms so residents can be aware and remain in their roomsor not be in the suite during these scheduled cleanings.
- Students will be notified before maintenance is done in the suite/bedroom. This includes housing maintenance, facilities management, and third-party vendors. All employees must sign in at the desk indicated the room they are going into or put their name on the work order to be inputted into the work order system.
- Students will be notified of room checks on a weekly basis.
- Third-party vendors will be escorted by Housing staff. They must sign in/out at the desk each time they are handling a maintenance issue/routine maintenance in an on-campus building.
- Frequent reminders of proper hand hygiene (verbally, posters, videos) with hand sanitizer widely available in common area.
Upperclassmen will move in Monday, August 10th.
The university provided students options for the 2020-2021 school year due to the COVID crisis. Students have the option to attend class virtually or by a hybrid attendance which incorporates both in-person and online classes.
Southern University classes are set to begin August 12th.