BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — St. George firefighters extinguished the flames engulfing a garbage truck on Hoo Shoo Too Road.
The fire happened on Tuesday, Sept. 28 at around 12:28 p.m. The garbage truck was a compressed natural gas-fueled truck. St. George Fire spokesperson Eldon Ledoux said the natural gas tanks seemed to have vented, preventing an explosion. The fire was extinguished with aqueous fire-fighting foam.
The fire was reignited at 3:40 p.m. while in tow on Jefferson Hwy, according to Ledoux. The fire had been extinguished by the tow truck operator and firefighters used water to cool down the truck and ensure it was totally cooled.