BATON ROUGE, La. (BRPROUD) — The Louisiana Office of State Fire Marshal (LOSFM) reminds homeowners to never mix hot cooking oil and water after a fire investigation in Walker.

State Fire Marshal officials said a fire was started in an apartment after a resident set a pot of oil on the stove and forgot it. As a result, the oil was overflowing and in flames. Fire officials said she moved the pot to the sink and attempted to run it under water when it created a flash fire.

The fire was extinguished and the resident was not injured, according to SFM. However, fire officials share the following tips:

  • If you experience a grease or oil fire, and it’s small, put a top over the pot or pan to suffocate it and turn off the stove.
  • If you have a fire extinguisher (Class K specifically), that’s another method to address a grease or oil fire while it’s still manageable.
  • But if the fire is large and out of control, get out of the house and call 911 ASAP!