BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- 10 Louisiana schools, including two schools in Baton Rouge, will be recognized by U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos as National Blue Ribbon Schools for 2020.
The recognition is based on a school’s overall academic performance or progress in closing achievement gaps among student subgroups. The award affirms the hard work of educators, families, and communities, in creating safe and welcoming schools where students master challenging and engaging content.
The National Blue Ribbon Schools program has bestowed almost 10,000 awards to more than 9,000 schools, with some schools winning multiple awards.
Schools are eligible for nomination after five years.
“It is a privilege to recognize the extraordinary work you do to meet students’ needs and prepare them for successful careers and meaningful lives”, said Secretary DeVos.
The following Louisiana schools that will be recognized are:
The 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools Awards Ceremony will be held virtually on Nov. 12 and 13.
Photographs and brief descriptions of all 2020 National Blue Ribbon Schools are available at https://www.ed.gov/nationalblueribbonschools.
- Seven constitutional amendments on the ballot in Louisiana this year.
- Saturday Night: Quiet end to the weekend; All eyes on Tropical Depression 28 in the Caribbean
- GALLERY: LSU runs away from South Carolina
- Car accident kills Geismar woman
- AMBER Alert issued for two girls abducted, after two boys were found dead