WALKER, La. (BRPROUD) — On Friday morning, the City of Walker experienced a natural gas outage and low gas pressure, leaving customers without heating during the freezing temperatures.
The City of Walker has crews working to improve gas pressure but is asking for the public’s help by preserving gas during extreme weather conditions.
The following tips can be helpful:
- Shut off any gaslight
- Not using natural gas fireplaces
- Lower thermostat temperature to 68 degrees
- Lower water heater temperature to 120 degrees
- If you have a natural gas generator, take it off automatic start mode, if possible
- Do not use the pool heater if you have a pool. Run the pool pump during the cold times to prevent freezing
Remember if you smell gas, leave the area immediately and from a safe distance, contact the City of Walker at 225-413-2430 or call 911.
The City of Walker released a public announcement. Read the announcement below.
The City of Walker is currently evaluating the gas system and has started developing a modernization plan to identify needed improvements to meet the growth of our service areas. While this will not be a short term fix, several small projects identified in the study are currently under construction or in engineering phase. City of Walker is committed to making these needed system improvements to meet the growing demand of the community we serve.The City of Walker