BATON ROUGE, La (BRPROUD)- Gov. John Bel Edwards reported the rising rates of COVID-19 and hospitalizations for the state of Louisiana since the Delta variant surfaced. Edwards said the state has lost “four months progress” setting us back by seeing COVID number so high since March 2021.
“The delta variant is not last year’s virus ,we are dealing with a different beast…children are more susceptible to this variant”, said Dr. Catherine O’Neal from Our Lady of the Lake Hospital.
- 97% of COVID-19 cases and COVID associated deaths in Louisiana have been among those who were not fully vaccinated.
- Delta is the dominated variant nationally and locally. 58% of all news cases nationally and 59% in Louisiana.
- Statewide positivity rate has risen to 6.3%, three times more than what was reported a few weeks ago.
- 85% of nursing home residents are fully vaccinated.
- 10,828 reported deaths in Louisiana due to COVID-19.
Increases have been seen in all regions of the state, said the governor and adding that the spread of misinformation is costing lives.
Alteast 50% of adults in Louisiana has received one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine but the governor says that is not enough. Medical experts says we are now in a fourth surge and are encouraging all to get vaccinated.
“Do your part, ask your family and your community to get vaccinated, we must do better”, said Gov. Edwards.